Sunday, April 13, 2008

Granola

Granola is a family favorite....this recipe is handed down from my Grandma Cleverly...its good for you and not full of all the garbage that comes in the cereals/granola from the store....
I am amazed at what are put in cereals these days, even ones that CLAIM to be healthy for you. I don't buy "sugar" cereals for my kids...no fruit loops, no trix, nothing like that. But even the ones that I buy that I THINK are atleast a LITTLE bit good for them, really aren't. Did you know that Special K has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it???!!!! I about died....not only is there so much crap in the cereals out there, they are freakin' expensive!!! I walked down the cereal isle this week and a box of cereal was $7!!!! WHAT??!!!! Are you kidding me???!!!! I could not believe my eyes. So I decided it was time for us to make some GOOD for you granola this weekend. The recipe calls for brown sugar...I ommited this from my last batch and it still tastes great to me and the kids didn't even know it was gone! The honey gives it enough sweetness...
Enjoy!

6 cups quick oats (or you can do 3 cups quick, 3 cups regular oats)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I started taking this OUT of the recipe, to cut down on sugar)
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup flaked coconut (unsweetened)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (i have always used walnuts)
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (HAS to be raw, salted is disgusting in this recipe!)
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup vegetable oil (i started using grapeseed oil and use just about 1/2 cup)
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins

In large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, coconut, sesame seeds, nuts, sunflower seeds and nonfat dry milk. Stir until mixed well. In another bowl, combine honey, oil, water and vanilla. (i usually will use a wire whisk to get this part mixed together good) Add to oat mixture and stir to coat ingredients well.

Turn into two large shallow baking pans. Heat in 300 degree oven for20-25 minutes or until LIGHTLY toasted. (ovens vary, i usually only need to cook mine for 15-18 minutes) Stir twice during heating. Once cooled, crumble into pieces and add raisins if desired.

1 comment:

Heather said...

This sounds great I will have to give it a whirl!!